Monday, May 4, 2015

I Was a Young Idiot and Now I'm a Grown One

When I was a kid, I thought adultery referred simply to something an adult does.

Even as I typed that sentence I realize that phrased like that I wasn't wrong, but I'm leaving it there. You guys should all know up front who you're signing up to read.

To better phrase that, I thought it was anything that adults do that kids do not: paying bills? Adultery. Driving? Adultery. Planning and scheduling? Adultery. I realized at a fairly early age that I wasn't interested in involving myself with adultery (and after I found out what the definition actually was, I was still OK with that decision).

Here's the thing, though. That calendar on your wall (or more realistically on your phone) doesn't actually give a creamed damn on rye about what you're interested in so years keep on passing. And maybe you, like me suddenly found yourself with a pile of bills and no adult in sight. Or possibly even some very avoidable expenses that you shouldn't have incurred attached to no purse strings but your own.

                                                  (oops)

And suddenly you have dependents that need you to help keep them alive and such and now you're the person that has to do that.


                                               "We are your responsibility!"

And you realize that adulthood has been thrust upon you (in good news, Captain Crunch is now a legitimate dinner option as decreed by an adult!).

It's odd. In my head I'm not exactly a child, but I often really wish I had someone higher up that was accountable for me. Because another childhood theory that I had was that when you got to be an adult you'd more or less know what you were doing and that has certainly not been the case in my experience. The difference is that now I have to figure it out. But it seems like I know a lot of other people who are figuring it out as well. So my main goal is to make this a place where people can talk about or laugh about navigating these treacherous seas.

So that's it for now. Hopefully you'll visit again to hear about the highs (one of my jobs is literally to play pretend and make people laugh!), the lows (one of my jobs makes me think about murdering people with a hammer!), in in-betweens and the parenthetical overload that is where I have to store all my excess thoughts. I don't know exactly what I'm doing here, but like in life, I think I'll figure out my best course of action.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent! I can't wait to see what's next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dependents are cute beyond description. My dependents, depending on the day, can only graze that high level of cutitude.

    ReplyDelete