Thursday, May 14, 2015

Clearly I am No Rolling Stone

First of all, I hope this is legible and not full of typos. For some reason Digby Chicken Caesar (my youngest cat, the one without the tail) has decided to love me and is lying on me thusly.
Love shackle, baby.

Casey: Hey, what's a really low-maintenance indoor plant?

Everyone: Cacti and succulents*!

Casey: What's a really low-maintenance indoor plant that doesn't require much sunlight?

Most Everyone: ...

*They aren't wrong, though. Cacti and succulents are pretty hard to kill assuming that you don't have a roommate that pours the remnants of her beer on them. Turns out cacti aren't big drinkers.

So, I've been working lately on treating my house more like a home. Because I am bouncing around a lot, working weird hours, and often only there to sleep, it has been easy to think of it as sort of a crash pad more than a home. When I realized that's probably not the healthiest mindset nor the best way to have a place where I relax and think clearly when I am there, I got to work cleaning up, putting my knick knacks out in an aesthetically pleasing way, trying to put stuff on the walls and decided it was time to lay down roots. In a literal sense.

I like house plants a lot. They do good things for the air and while my house doesn't want for living things in it, something about adding something that requires care is a good motivator for upkeep.

My house is a beautiful bungalow-style house that was built in the 20s. You can tell it was built with a mindset towards Mississippi summer heat before there was air conditioning. It has big windows, a sort of circular layout for air flow and most of the windows are shaded by the porch. It's a lovely house with a ton of character and history. I really can't say enough good stuff about it.

Now here's the issue. Because it was set up to primarily not bake it's residents alive, it doesn't get a ton of natural, direct sunlight, which is where the cacti and succulents (along with lots of other plants) are kind of at a disadvantage indoors. I had all but given up on the idea of having a little bookshelf plant when a friend of mine brought moss terrariums to my attention.

Again, I am not super good with plants, so I didn't feel 100% comfortable going and gathering living, clinging moss, but It's also pretty easy to find moss that has come loose from where it is growing and would otherwise die. Rescue moss, I like to think of it. So I grabbed some on a recent walk with Nosy (the dog).

"Help me!"

I put it in some old jars and discarded vases that I have no use for on a bed of rocks and dirt and poured over some water fully expecting to have some jars of soggy garbage within a few days, but lo and behold.

"That's much better!"

Guys, this is the lowest maintenance house plant ever. All you have to do is add water and NOT make sure it gets sunlight. Now that I'm feeling bolder, I feel like taking an adventure and finding different kinds of moss and seeing how that goes.

Any other tips for things that I should try to spruce up the house?



No comments:

Post a Comment